30724Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Evan's Security or Lack thereof

  • Cory Smelosky
    May 15, 2013
      On 15 May 2013, at 15:21, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      >> Gmail as
      >> as a
      >> pry).
      >>> Yes, I agree here as well.
      >> I don't agree. Java is very vulnerable, esp if you have not updated this
      >> year.
      > Java, meaning a JVM-based application running on the machine, or a
      > Java Applet running in a web browser? If you mean the latter, yes, most
      > definitely, but nobody does that anymore. The former, no...if that's
      > what you mean, please provide references.

      I think he's referring to the recent slew of Java exploits. Those were in the JVM itself though, iirc.

      > Java in that latter context is simply a language (as you know), and
      > in that language, it's possible for n00bs to write bad code with
      > vulnerabilities, just like any other language. But the language
      > *itself* is not the problem, nor is the JVM. (for JVMs released in the
      > last decade, at least!)

      Correct. The language itself is not the problem. I do however remember there being quite a few Java exploits in either the JVM or the browser plugin recently.

      I still try to avoid Java though. ;)