30723Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Evan's Security or Lack thereof

    May 15, 2013
      On 05/15/2013 03:14 PM, B. Degnan wrote:

      >>> I've put my two cents in. Web mail hijacking, especially if he uses
      > Gmail as
      >>> a frontend, seems like a good possibility, but only if he uses web mail
      > as a
      >>> frontend for his personal mail (which I don't know and am not going to
      > pry).
      >>
      >> Yes, I agree here as well.
      >
      > I don't agree. Java is very vulnerable, esp if you have not updated this
      > year.

      Java, meaning a JVM-based application running on the machine, or a
      Java Applet running in a web browser? If you mean the latter, yes, most
      definitely, but nobody does that anymore. The former, no...if that's
      what you mean, please provide references.

      Java in that latter context is simply a language (as you know), and
      in that language, it's possible for n00bs to write bad code with
      vulnerabilities, just like any other language. But the language
      *itself* is not the problem, nor is the JVM. (for JVMs released in the
      last decade, at least!)

      > Cell phone teathering as mentioned in my earlier email is also a
      > problem if you're near NYC and you have not updated your password from the
      > original one provided by the cell phone company. It's soooo easy to hack a
      > cell phone because no one protects them.

      Your story about Penn Station in your last post totally blew my mind.

      > The Free BSD that is the underlying ISP of Evan's email (degnanco.net) has
      > no viruses or security issues per scans and logs.

      Excellent.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ