3061RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Hi guys...

    Apr 12, 2006
      Good news!  Today I went down to InfoAge and did a little test.  I cut a piece of cardboard into a 73x31-inch rectangle and successfully navigated the 90-degree left turn at the top of our loading ramp and also the door between their and the exhibit room without any problems.  Also, the InfoAge folks confirmed that putting weight on the exhibit room floor isn't a problem.  So, Mike, we're all set to accept your IBM exhibit.  A big relief!

      From: Mike Ross [mailto:abaddon@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 9:50 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Hi guys...

      wrote:

      > * dragging a bunch of it to VCF
      East.

      > Assuming it fits through the door to the
      building!

      > Mike, you still need to send me the
      measurements of the largest
      single part.
      > No kidding.  I'm very
      encouraged by the four-foot-wide door they're
      > installing down at InfoAge
      which will lead directly into our
      exhibits area
      > (no hallways), but
      there will still be some stairs in front of
      that.  So
      > hopefully
      your rental truck has one of those pull-out ramps, in
      which case
      > you
      should be fine.  Or, ideally, your gear would fit through a
      standard
      > 34-inch door, in which case you can use our standard

      Eeeeek. Yer right. Sorry.

      The biggest lump I *might* bring is the IBM 1800. 60" long, 33 1/2"
      wide, 77" high, weighs about... your guess is as good as mine.
      2000lb? Possibly more?

      The biggest lump I *will* bring is the System/38. 70" long, 29" wide,
      48" high, weighs about... 1000lb?

      If you want to test the route, I suggest you get a standard-size
      door, and use it as a life-size template - try to carry it *flat and
      horizontal* from the dock to the exhibit area. If the door makes it,
      my gear should. If it gets stuck in a bend, my exhibits probably will
      too.

      Needless to say, none of this equipment goes up stairs or ramps -
      unless the ramps are *exceptionally* gentle in slope! Basically, it
      rolls on the level, with two or three strong bodies shoving it.

      It would help if I could see photos of your loading dock, and route
      from there to the exhibit area. Pull-out ramps? Fah! I wouldn't dream
      of putting heavy IBM metal on a pull-out ramp - the result would be a
      large bang, and a bent or broken ramp. Besides, the pull-out ramps
      are far too narrow. I unload at dock level, or with a liftgate.

      Cheers

      Mike

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic