3056Re: [midatlanticretro] Big rescue opportunity...

  • William Pechter
    Apr 12, 2006
      Nope, that's EAI Electronics Associates Incorporared.

      They did analog computers across the street from Concurrent.
      I used to repair their Vax and PDP11/45 when I was at DEC.

      They later moved from the PDP11 to control the analog stuff in their later hybrids to Concurrent/PE stuff and also some big number crunching stuff from
      Gould's SEL fokls.

      I later worked for Concurrent on their stuff (their Unix was interesting).
      The Masscomp RTU line was brought in in 1987 with a merger with Masscomp.
      Masscomp was full of old DEC RSX guys who put the real-time EMT's into Unix.

      Bill

      BOYD BORRILL <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:
      Bob;
      The other company was named "Electronics Research Associates" or something close to it. I just thought of it after I sent you the first reply.
      Ray

      Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
      Wow!  I used to do a lot of work on Perkin-Elmer machines in the mid 80s until I finally
      convinced management to replace them with HP systems.  Our company moved a lot
      of their systems to run our network monitoring software (yeah, companies dedicated
      minicomputers to monitoring network traffic).  And yes, they were all 32 bit machines
      with a common operating system.

      Their OS was called OS/32; I joked with my friends at Microsoft as to why they didn't
      have OS/2 ready, yet I was using a "much better" OS/32 at work.

      PE machines were big number crunchers, and the OS stank for multi-user applications.
      I forget what the multi-user hack was called, but the base OS only supported a single
      user, and you'd load this horrible hack to allow multiple sessions.  FORTRAN was the
      programming language, but they eventually added a bugger C compiler.  We ran a
      Z80 cross assembler for our development (Dave... what was the assembler?  It was
      the same one you guys were using at HDS at the time).

      When I visited the VLA (Very Large Array) in New Mexico the first time and got the
      tour, their data processing center was filled with big PE machines.  I got talking to one
      of the guys there who said PE was the only viable way to crunch all the data coming
      in from all the dishes in a timely manner.  Ugh... it was awful for code development, but
      ran heavy math stuff really well.

      At one point, I ran our big MPU system... Multiple Processing Units.  We had 10 big
      cabinets.  One contained all the 300mb hard drives and tape deck (9 track).  One had
      the main CPU and I/O control unit.  The other 8 big chassis held one additional CPU
      each.  Very big, very impressive.

      PE was based in NJ, so we got excellent support from them.  Every now and then I look
      for old PE stuff on eBay, but I guess it's either all stored in old storage areas with
      cobwebs or long-tossed into landfills.  This is an interesting find, and deserves some
      attention because those machines were very common in the 70s/80s but are very hard
      to find now.

      Bob