30519Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible CDC 9747 drive for trade

    May 8, 2013
      On 05/08/2013 07:40 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
      >> I just acquired a Control Data 9747 removable pack drive. I am almost
      >> 100% sure this drive has never been used. It is still in its shipping
      >> box but off its pallet so it can be wheeled around. Its a monster that
      >> takes 11 disk platter packs. I have 1 pack for it. From what I have
      >> found I think it is around 74 vintage? The platter well is not marked at
      >> all and the insides are beautiful. The foam has disintegrated though on
      >> the panels.
      >
      > I guess this is a new one on me. I thought I knew the CDC drives pretty
      > well, but I'm not familiar with the 9747. Is it a standard SMD interface,
      > or was it something custom? From the description, it sounds like the
      > venerable 9766 (11 platter disk packs and disintegrating foam). And from
      > what I know of the 9766, it is amazingly heavy. And, if you made the
      > mistake of wheeling it into a minivan from a loading dock, you'll have all
      > kinds of fun getting it out, later, without one. Ask me how I know this.

      It took four people about four hours to get my 9766 down two flights of
      stairs last year. I don't shy away from moving very many things (I have two
      single-rack computers here that each weigh in excess of a ton), but another
      9766 not on a ground floor, without suitable big moving equipment and an
      elevator, would give me pause.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ