30497Re: [midatlanticretro] Our museum needs a working iPod

  • David Riley
    May 7, 2013
      On May 6, 2013, at 6:51 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

      > > player?
      > >
      > > We have those; it's just easier to use the modern device.
      >
      > How is it easier? I mean, the cassette player is actually easier, since you have real, physical buttons to press, and you don't have to mess with some little screen.
      >
      > If you don't like rewinding, why not a CD player?

      A CD player isn't a BAD option, but you could probably get a lot
      more mileage out of an iPod where you can organize your software
      by "albums" and "artists", which have convenient corollaries to
      categories and authors. Plus, I mean, 6 GB of compressed audio
      (even lossless compression) is going to beat 720 MB of
      uncompressed, 16-bit stereo audio (because you don't have a
      choice with CDs).

      Of course, the amount of software out there for the Apple I is
      probably not THAT big. For the Apple II, though, I'd see it as
      a clear benefit.

      Either way, I definitely agree you should also see if you can
      find a reasonable cassette player from the '70s or '80s (bonus
      if you use a reel-to-reel) and hook it up through a mixer or a
      switch (have an "aux port" out front so people can bring their
      own software?).

      - Dave
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic