30391Re: [midatlanticretro] Identifying some things

    May 1, 2013
      On 05/01/2013 06:58 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > I came across a Unibus card for a PDP-8/E,

      That would be Omnibus. Omnibus is the bus that PDP-8/e computer use.
      Unibus is used by some PDP-11s, some VAXen, and some PDP-10 family
      machines. No PDP-8 computers ever used Unibus.

      > though I don't know its
      > purpose. My online searches have resulted in no (even close) matches.
      > The handles on the card say Y006, and the card itself says "G101 Display
      > Bd. for PDP 8E" on the solder side. Judging from the empty sockets and
      > two sets of three pads with no components populated (yet with remnants
      > of solder on the pads), I'd say this card is missing some things. I have
      > a feeling there were two ten-turn pots on the board judging from the
      > placement of those pads. Any ideas? I'm not (yet) a DEC collector, but I
      > hope to be soon.

      How delightfully odd! I don't think I've EVER seen a Y (yellow)
      series module. I'll dig around a bit and see what it might be.

      > Secondly, I found a mechanical analog computer that belongs to the
      > Electrical and Computer Engineering department at my university. Any
      > ideas as to what it is, exactly? It seems to have been partially parted
      > out, but most of it still remains. Part of the case is missing, and some
      > screws/nuts also seem to be absent. I think I also spotted some cut
      > wires. I couldn't really dig up any further info on what its purpose was.
      >
      > I uploaded an album here: http://imgur.com/a/d0iCD

      LOVE that mechanical beast!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ