30312Re: [midatlanticretro] May 18th-19th event

  • David Riley
    Apr 26, 2013
      On Apr 26, 2013, at 11:22 AM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      > Does anybody wish my assistance with component level troubleshooting
      > during this event? My area is PDP-8's though that carries over reasonably
      > well to other machines that are mostly standard chips. For the machines
      > using custom chips other people have more knowledge of them and things
      > like special test cartridges. Either reply to the list to see who can
      > help or me if you know you wish my help.

      I was considering bringing my TS05 tape drive (re-badged Cipher F880)
      which is misbehaving, since it seemed like it would be a fun project.
      It works most of the way, but there are a few things that are probably
      power-supply related (and probably fixable with new filter caps) that
      bear looking into, but I'm not super-experienced with fixing tape
      drives. Is that within the range of what we were thinking, or is it
      more fixing MARCH stuff? I'm fine with whatever.

      Fixing the power supply would, of course, require someone to have the
      proper spare caps, but a proper collaborative diagnosis would help.

      For all relevant projects, I can bring a scope, a 10A power supply,
      a 20 MHz waveform generator and a decent meter (Fluke 87-V). The
      scope is 4 channels, 100 MHz bandwidth. Would that be helpful?
      They'd be there for anyone to use, though I think I might only be
      able to be there one day (I'll have to see).

      - Dave
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic