30193Re: Unassembled Altair on eBay

  • Mike
    Apr 16, 2013
      It would be great, if Grant decided to make another batch of Altair kits.

      With the steady escalation of prices of original Altairs, economics might be becoming a little more attractive. I think, in the past, the price of Grant's kit wasn't much different than the cost of getting an original unit. Even at that level, I don't think that there was a lot of profit for Grant, given the tremendous amount of work that went into producing a kit.

      The million dollar question is how much would you really pay for the chance to build a replica Altair? I'm sure if the money is there, someone will eventually do it again, and hopefully it's Grant.

      Regards,
      Mike W.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen L" <steve@...> wrote:

      > > Who else, other than me, would love to get someone to duplicate this
      > kit,
      > > so that they could actually build one? I am very sorry that I am not
      > old
      > > enough (born '76) to have been part of this part of the personal
      > computing
      > > revolution.
      >
      > --- Well of course, Grant Stockly did exactly that:
      > http://www.altairkit.com/ <http://www.altairkit.com/>
      >
      > To my knowledge though, those are long gone. It would be wonderful to
      > somehow revive that effort.
      >
      > Steve L.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic