30131Re: can a terminal damage a computer?

  • joshbensadon
    Apr 7, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > But seriously, my problems are all independent of each other. I do
      > everything through the grounded power supply of a battery backup with surge
      >
      > The 1488/1489's do die, and I have had to replace a few for sure. Better
      > these than other parts.
      >
      > I have other devices that are quite stable with my laptop as the terminal.
      > I think in my case it's just the computers/devices themselves, I try to not
      > to short things but I am not the most dexterous.
      >
      > Bill

      I think the best advice is to ground yourself more often. Like Ian said, he would touch metal before computer.

      I have personally seen in my professional work how some people are more likely to create a static charge. I don't know if it's clothes, physical chemistry or personality but there is a definite difference.

      Before you work on that COSMAC Microkit, you better touch wood and metal!

      :)J
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic