30103Re: RCA COSMAC Microkit

  • Mike
    Apr 5, 2013
      Bill,

      That is really cool. Are you going to try to get it going? Do you have any software?

      The group of us folks working on SCELBI's are very lucky in that SCELBI consulting published most of their software in book form. SCELBAL BASIC has been digitized a few years back, and I'm working on digitizing and running some of their other published programs on reproduction hardware. It's been a real trip. We think that some of this stuff hasn't been run on physical hardware (or otherwise) in 25 or more years.

      regards,
      Mike W.

      > I am not one to exaggerate but I really think this is a big deal find and I
      > am thrilled about this original RCA COSMAC Microkit that arrived safe and
      > sound today. Quite historic.
      >
      > I have uploaded a set of images of the new-to-me COSMAC Microkit. It has
      > an SSTC processor card (later renamed the 1801, which is the 2-chip version
      > of the subsequent 1802 of ELF fame). You can see from the various date
      > codes that the chips are from mid 1974-early 1975. RAM is 2102.
      >
      > A find like this is the kind of stuff that makes this hobby rewarding to
      > me, discovering a new historical relic of the earliest microcomputers which
      > had until now been previously undocumented. Although of course 10 more
      > will show up because that's how the world works ... but that's not
      > important... however as of this writing no other Microkits have been
      > documented on the web other than the article I scanned and posted on my
      > site in 2009..Given there's a ROM card, RAM, and an I/O card, this appears
      > to be a full 3K computer.
      >
      > Funny I was just saying at the TCF to Bill Dromg. that I did not want to
      > dive into the 1802 processor because I was too busy, famous last words.
      >
      > NOTE - The Kit was produced in Florida apparently and not N.J.!
      >
      > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/RCA/COSMAC/
      >
      > Bill

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic