29983Re: [midatlanticretro] Semi-OT: history of phone phreaking

    Mar 30, 2013
      Oops, I clicked "send" too soon. Full message follows:

      >>> Whoa, I just found a significant factual mistake in the book.

      On page 233, Lapsley discusses Bell Labs' transition from relay-based switching stations to transistor-based ones. He wrote that by summer/fall 1955, the decision was made to build a computerized system. However, there was an obstacle: "Bell Labs had never built a computer before and its engineers had never written a line of computer code."

      That's wrong. Bell Labs developed TRADIC (Transistorized Digital Computer) starting in 1954 and announced it to the public on March 14, 1955: http://thisdayintechhistory.com/03/14/bell-labs-announces-tradic/.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic