29966Re: desoldering station advice

  • hornbetw
    Mar 29, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, telmnstr@... wrote:

      > > I have a Pace digital soldering station that I do love. Until the
      > > other day, I was holding out for a Pace desoldering station. If I had
      > > to do a whole lot of desoldering, I think I still might get a Pace but
      > > I think the 808 will be a useful addition to my toolkit for odds and
      > > ends work.
      >
      > I have to admit these cheap chinese tools are killing it. My weller can't
      > get as hot as the $80 digital chinese soldering stations that my friends
      > have, which becomes a problem with RoHS electronics and what not.
      >
      > Also a friend of mine picked up the chinese hot air reflow and is doing
      > BGA reballs for fun.
      >
      > (To keep it on topic, I sent an email to the person that made the IDE CF
      > S100 card and am hoping to hear that there are more boards out there. I
      > plan to build one as a temporary hold out in place of my hard sectored
      > IMSAI Northstar drive.)

      I've used Pace and other self-contained desoldering stations in the Marines and at several employers. The Pace units seemed to work the best. None of the self-contained units work as well as the Weller WDD 81V that I currently have. If you have shop air available, the units that run on it, work much better than the self-contained stations.

      Tom
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic