29954Re: desoldering station advice

  • joshbensadon
    Mar 29, 2013

      > I want to get a desoldering station specifically for vintage computer
      > cards, etc.
      >
      > I found this ebay auction for an AOUYE 701 but I don't know much about
      > them:
      >
      > 170848203531
      >
      > any opinions? I see the Hakko FM-204's are pretty nice, but they're at
      > least $650.

      The AOUYE 701 looks very nice. The specs are great. I use a PACE SR-2 and give the PACE a 5 out of 10 rating. It works, but you have to fuss over keeping it clean. The AOUYE gives 24" of Hg vacuum, my PACE only gives 20". I think that will go a long way to keeping the hole clear. I especially love that the 701 has temperature control, something that doesn't work very well in the PACE. The tip is close to the heating element, a good design.

      My guess is the AOUYE will give you value for your money.

      :)J
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic