29942RE: [midatlanticretro] desoldering station advice

  • telmnstr
    Mar 29, 2013
      > I had the opportunity to handle a Hakko 808 the other day.
      > I was surprised by how light it was and what a good job it
      > does. I expected it to be heavier and less capable. I
      > intend to get one as soon as I'm sure I have the "hobby
      > money" available.

      Hakko 808 is great!

      A friend swears by used PACE stations though (fancy digital ones that
      sometimes turn up low cost on ebay.)

      I own an old pace station and I'd take a Hakko over it. Because the pump
      is right near the tip there isn't much lag time pulling vacume on it.

      (If you're really on a budget, the red bulb radio shack iron works okay.)

      Old boards tend to burn under high heat, so maybe temperature control is a
      benefit.

      (I use mine mostly for arcade/pinball repair.)
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic