29936Re: Altair / Fool on the Hill question

  • joshbensadon
    Mar 29, 2013

      > > Another option might be to use a small radio that can be placed right
      > > inside the Altair. Start the demo by lifting the lid of the

      > Also, remember distance is your friend. unless there are directional
      > antennas involved, signal strength is inversely proportional to the square of
      > the distance.
      >
      > -Dave

      Yes, I had that in mind too when I suggested putting the radio right inside the Altair box! Part of the demo is to show how it was done wirelessly, but given the circumstances, it might need to go inside the box. Also, he will need to watch that an open Altair box doesn't interfere with his neighbor's demo.

      But, things might just work outside of the box, if the radio is placed at the right position/angle.

      I wish I had more experience with the Altair Radio Music. But I know the AM Radio antenna is based on a ferret stick, which should be directional. But, I think the interference really happens at the IF stage, which is further down the receiver circuitry. If that is true, you could remove the ferret stick antenna.

      I'm sure the demo will sound good enough to get the point across. I just like the idea of opening the Altair Lid to show off the internals.

      :)J
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic