29931Re: Altair / Fool on the Hill question

  • joshbensadon
    Mar 29, 2013

      > >> Plan B, build some shielding around your exhibit?
      >
      > I emailed Erik Klein (because he's done the demo) and he also suggested shielding around the exhibit.
      >
      > A quick Google search pointed me to simple directions for making a Faraday cage, but doesn't that have to be 360 degrees? Obviously my shield needs at least one open side. Can a cage work with one open side? Or is there a simpler way to make a shield?

      You are right to guess it needs to be "360". These low frequency AM signals are like sound, they curve around objects to fill everything, vs high frequency which works only "line of sight".

      I would try using aluminum (window) screen.

      Another option might be to use a small radio that can be placed right inside the Altair. Start the demo by lifting the lid of the Altair to show off the cool boards inside, place your radio inside, close the lid. Finish the demo by pulling out the radio (for those new comers that didn't see the radio going in).

      If you like to do your own experiments, you can buy an AM transmitter from Ramseykits for $35.
      http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=AM1C

      Or tune your AM radio to a local station and shielding it out.

      :)J
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic