29927Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair / Fool on the Hill question

    Mar 28, 2013
      On 03/28/2013 11:37 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > > You all know about the famous "Fool on the Hill" demo. Bill Deg. demo'd it
      > > a couple of VCF Easts ago.
      > >
      > > InfoAge, at this year's Philadelphia Science Festival (April 20), is doing
      > > a "how radio works" theme. It was suggested that maybe MARCH could
      > > participate by doing the Altair demo several times during the day.
      > >
      > > I like that idea! But I wonder: with a bunch of radio gear operating in
      > > very close proximity, will the demo still work, or will there be too much
      > > interference for it to operate correctly?
      > It's not at all likely that the radio stuff will interfere with the Altair.
      > It is likely, however, that the Altair will interfere with the radio stuff,
      > especially if the radio stuff is below 30MHz or so.
      > Nah, only if you put a big 'ole Yagi on it! :)

      It takes a lot less than that. Older micros with poor shielding and
      single-digit-MHz clocks still have signals with fast edge transitions, with
      strong harmonic content well up into the tens of MHz.

      > Hey, at least it doesn't have
      > a switching supply built in. Those are the worst! The university's ham club
      > shack is almost unusable since the whole building is generating an untold
      > amount of RF noise from all of the computers.

      Yep. Yech. :-(

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ