29926Re: Altair / Fool on the Hill question

  • joshbensadon
    Mar 28, 2013

      > Altair experts,
      >
      > You all know about the famous "Fool on the Hill" demo. Bill Deg. demo'd it a couple of VCF Easts ago.
      >
      > InfoAge, at this year's Philadelphia Science Festival (April 20), is doing a "how radio works" theme. It was suggested that maybe MARCH could participate by doing the Altair demo several times during the day.
      >
      > I like that idea! But I wonder: with a bunch of radio gear operating in very close proximity, will the demo still work, or will there be too much interference for it to operate correctly?

      I think the RFI is at the IF level (455khz), if this is the case, then the other exhibits shouldn't interfere with the demo. Another radio in close proximity might (<1 foot). Now, if the RFI is at the carrier level (530Khz to 1640Khz), then other AM transmitters will wreak havok. Plan B, build some shielding around your exhibit? Back to case 1, (IF level), someone could deliberately tune their transmitter to your radio, then you'll just have to carry a big stick.

      Just my thoughts. Besides fixing some old radio's, I don't have first hand experience with Alair Radio Music.

      :)J
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic