29771Re: Paper Tape Punch...

  • joshbensadon
    Mar 20, 2013

      > For your punch, I guess you should just go through every possible
      > > combination. Something is bound to work.
      > >

      > Well...that's a good number of settings! It validates the settings, but you
      > don't always have an idea of what constitutes a valid setting until you try
      > it. Thus, it would be quite time consuming! I wonder if I shouldn't just
      > dump the EPROMs and disassemble them...it's only 6809 assembly (if I
      > recall)! Albeit, many of the settings are just 0s and seem to not be
      > terribly important. There are only 16 settings that seem as though they
      > have a direct impact in making it work properly.
      >
      > In case you're curious, here's my manual dump of all of the settings in the
      > menu:
      > https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Ow1Wo1rBQUa0pJeV9WT2xScTQ/edit?usp=sharing
      >
      > Kyle

      Wow, I can see how every combination will be very tedious and time consuming. I like the idea of reverse engineering the firmware, I've always found that kind of work to be stimulating. It's also less prone to cumulative problems. For instance, let's say by sequentially testing jumpers you hit upon the "8 bit mode" but what if the 8th pin is mechanically stuck? You'll be chasing your tail.
      But if you go the reverse engineering way, you'll know the purpose of all the jumpers and how to set them. Then if the 8th pin doesn't fire, you'll know to look elsewhere (mechanics, drivers, etc).

      :)J
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic