29764Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Paper Tape Punch...

  • Kyle Owen
    Mar 19, 2013
      I have a really clean Facit 4047 combo punch/reader, but I can't figure out what it takes to put it into binary mode. I've got it punching ASCII with XON/XOFF, but I should be able to punch regular binary data by using hardware flow control. My current attempts have failed me, especially with the lack of documentation online. I've found two places that have helped, though.
      http://www.members.tripod.com/facit_facit/specsheets/4047.html (which tells me it can do "transparent" punching and hardware flow control)
      https://engineering.purdue.edu/AAE/Academics/Courses/Raisbeck/images/resources/cnc/Manual/Editor/Editor.pdf (control+F "4047", explains some working parameters, but no indication on what each setting does)
      It's completely different from the more common 4070, which is a parallel punch with no reader. I've been successful at reading and punching S19 load files for my SWTPC 6800, but again, nothing on the binary front. The "jumper settings" are completely electronic in numeric menus, and without knowing what they are, it's really quite hard to figure out.

      Kyle

      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM, joshbensadon <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Eventually I need to find a solution to making tapes at home that doesn't involve me owning an ASR33, but for now I hope the generosity of others will help me.

      I just finished cleaning and lubricating my punch. Some punches were sticking or not firing, but now it's working like a charm. I ran off a 1 to 255 tape a few times without errors.

      But I don't have much paper tape left and I'm all the way in Canada so shipping is expensive.

      If you can afford to ship me some tape, I can punch what you want.

      :)J

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic