29746Re: [midatlanticretro] May 18/19 MARCH event

  • Dan Roganti
    Mar 19, 2013

      On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      Now that Trenton is done, we can start planning the May 18/19 "VCF
      Alternative" event.

      My basic idea is to have a simple vintage-themed swap meet on May 18 and
      a tech day on May 19.

      But I have some concerns about the swap meet day. There could be more
      sellers than buyers; the buyers could be people just looking for
      rock-bottom prices; and thus it might therefore stink.

      What can we do to make it AWESOME without being too (V)CF-y?

      I'm open to good ideas.

      I get the impression this swap meet is intended only for those list members on this email list and not for the general public. Where everyone is swapping their WTB/FS lists several weeks in advance on here. And then there's basically nothing of interest left to sell to the casual visitor. Frankly, that's not how to attract more buyers.  There's certainly way more people >not< on this email list that like to buy. Imagine if all of those people, who normally attend VCF in the past, knew they could come there in person and buy any of the vintage stuff they see. I remember the consignment area during VCF was usually a success. If it's going to be a real swap meet, you might want to run this as such - much the way as a Hamfest operates. It's the difference between sitting at home looking at eB@y and actually going out and looking. Use some of the simple incentives they have used - besides having lots of stuff to sell - to lure buyers from all the various places where you have advertised the VCF events in the past. You have the room to attract more people, even more room now. You certainly don't need keynotes, lectures, nor exhibits to make this work.

      Dan

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic