2963Re: [midatlanticretro] PS/2 trivia question

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Mar 27, 2006
      John Allain wrote:
      >>> those 'quasi-PS/2 machines did use VGA graphics. If you're
      >>> plugging in a TTL monitor, that might be a problem.
      >> Nope. Not VGA. MCGA.
      > Still, the VGA signal levels and the DE15 shell
      > connector still applies for the model 30, I believe.
      > Indicates VGA is a superset of MCGA?

      VGA is a superset of both EGA and MCGA. MCGA doesn't have any EGA
      capabilities whatsoever, and in addition, VGA has a bunch of
      higher-resolution modes that MCGA doesn't have. The only
      higher-than-EGA resolution mode that MCGA has is 320x200/240x8.

      8514 is essentially a VGA with rudimentary acceleration and twice as
      much framebuffer.

      XGA was heavily accelerated compared to many other PC graphics cards at
      the time. And it had twice the framebuffer of 8514 (1MB) which allowed
      it to run at 1024x768x8.

      XGA-2 had faster acceleration and DAC's, 2MB of framebuffer, but
      couldn't run at higher resolutions or color depths than XGA. The extra
      framebuffer space gave it double-buffering capabilities.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic