29609RL01 drives, worthwhile?

  • Systems Glitch
    Mar 12, 2013
      All,

      I've got a pair of clean but untested RL01 drives that I'm considering using with my parts build LSI-11. I'd really like some form of hard disk that can be swapped between the LSI-11 and my PDP-11/10, so the RL01s fit that pretty well.

      I'm not sure it's worth the time and money to try and get two RL01s tested out and working with the disk packs being far less common than the RL02. I can get them, but it looks like they're going to be over $100 a pack (they do come with a guarantee). I'd like everyone's opinions on whether it's a worthwhile endeavor or not, or if I'd be better off going with another solution (RL02, RK05, et c.).

      If I do decide to return the RL01s to service, does anyone have a working pack I could test them out with? I have access to a working PDP-11/23+ with known good RL controller (currently has RL02s connected to it).

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic