29587Re: [midatlanticretro] wire wrap bits?

    Mar 9, 2013
      On 03/09/2013 07:50 AM, David Comley wrote:
      > As I recall, the bits are available but pricey. I picked up a similar
      > tool at the MIT Swap Meet a few years ago minus the bit, but balked at
      > the price of a new bit and never bought one.
      >
      > If you're getting into anything big though, and no-one comes up with a
      > no-cost bit, I'd recommend spending the money on it. On the last
      > large-scale wire-wrap project I worked on, I used a hand wire-wrap tool
      > from R*dio Sh*ck. Actually I used two: the first one wore out. Not
      > having a power wire-wrap tool really slowed things down and the quality
      > of the work suffered.
      >
      > Maybe I should dig mine out and get it working. Who knows how much
      > longer bits will be available ?

      If they're still available now, they'll likely be around for quite
      awhile. The first time I heard people whining "they're all gonna go
      away!" was easily 25 years ago.

      About WW bits...It probably doesn't pay to buy a used one, unless you
      can inspect it very thoroughly. The alignment between the core and the
      sleeve is pretty critical, and dropping it once will likely destroy it.

      I used one of those Radio Shack hand WW tools for years; it worked
      great. I still have it, in fact...I've had it for almost exactly thirty
      years now. I only use it for "quick gotta fix something on a DEC
      backplane" type of stuff. If I'm going to wire-wrap a whole board, I
      have a Cooper power wire-wrap gun that is just fantastic.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ