29551Re: [midatlanticretro] Oy vey! Gross mischaracterizations of our hobby.

    Mar 6, 2013
      On 03/06/2013 12:51 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      >>> I think it took a few years for Evan to understand the term of
      > endearment I used for my collection. "My Crap"
      >>>
      >>> My ex used to call my collection crap, even screaming to me on a cell
      > phone where the occupants of the car I was in heard it.
      >>> She is gone, my crap is still here.
      >>
      >> Bravo. The first time my S.O. says something like that, she's shown
      >> the door. End of story. (it has happened!)
      >
      > True, be we hobbyists need to keep our crap under control, there is a point
      > when a collection becomes a problem and we need to know where the "line"
      > is... Sellam may have a new perspective on that.. We have to take our SO's
      > into account. Not everyone can appreciate our love of this hobby, there
      > are times where sensitivity is smart.

      I think the real problem is a bit different. If an S.O. cannot come
      to terms with something their partner loves, even if said S.O. doesn't
      share that interest, then the S.O. is just plain incompatible.

      Now, if a "collector" becomes unreasonable, like taking over the
      whole house in a way that makes things difficult for the uninterested
      S.O., that's a different problem entirely.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ