29545Re: [midatlanticretro] Computers as investment

    Mar 6, 2013
      On 03/06/2013 09:42 AM, Ray Sills wrote:
      > Well... Evan's oy vey notwithstanding... and I certainly agree with
      > him on the criticism of BankRate.com... ANY collectible is not truly
      > an investment... it's a speculation: you hope that someone in the
      > future will pay you more for the item than you paid. (The "greater
      > fool" theory). Of course, some people keep items (antiques or
      > otherwise) for sentimental reasons.. ("This was my grandfather's
      > rocking chair"..etc.) And, one of your descendants might feel that
      > way about your first single-board computer.

      I don't know *anyone* involved in vintage computing who considers it
      to be "speculation" or "investment". Anyone.

      And personally, with a few specific exceptions, nothing I (in
      particular) have here is for sale. Know how many tens of thousands of
      dollars I'd get if I were to put my PDP10s on eBay? (hint: the last one
      went for $25,000) They are NOT FOR SALE, plain and simple. They will
      be willed to someone. I don't buy vintage computer hardware in hopes of
      selling it to make a profit...I buy it because I want to HAVE it.

      I believe this describes nearly everyone in the vintage computing
      community, and certainly everyone here.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ