29543re: [midatlanticretro] Computers as investment

    Mar 6, 2013

      > In 100 years, if someone still has a working Windows 95 laptop, it
      > will be worth more than it is now. But, that'll only help your great-
      > grandchildren to cash in. But that will be because most similar
      > laptops will have disappeared, into landfills or recycling centers.
      > And, that still does not make it an investment.
      >
      > For something to be an investment, you have to have the expectation of
      > a return on capital -while- you own it... like land, stock shares,
      > real estate, and financial instruments. Sure, some of those things
      > can be speculative too, but stock shares can pay dividends from
      > earnings, real estate can be rented (or used, in which case you are
      > your own landlord), and banks pay interest for the use of your money.

      MARCH's mission is first of all to have fun and work together on projects
      related to vintage computer preservation and use. Our other overall goal
      is to educate other about computer history (in particular Mid-Atlantic's),
      and to rescue and preserve historical computers in our care. Check MARCH
      FAQ's...nothing about cashing in!

      The wired article I was in was more on target.
      http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/02/restorations-2/?pid=589
      Focus on the positive!

      They say any press is good press, Evan. :-)

      bd
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic