29528Re: Roll Call for TCF E (!! NOT VCF !!)

  • s100doctor
    Mar 5 5:56 PM
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

      > Next options is 8/E 1970-1978. Not sure when mine was made. This is
      > linear supply some still somewhat power hungry and somewhat a pain
      > to extract from the rack.
      >
      > And last is my 8/M 1972-1978. Also don't known when mine made. Smallest and
      > lowest power. This is what I was planning to bring. Mine has a sticker
      > saying educomputer over the digital logo.

      Is this the Educomp you brought last April to the MARCH Fix-it thingy? It's a nice machine. Any small 8 is a nice machine of course.

      > For storage I assume DECtape is the best option. I have 8" floppies
      > also but I assume some of the other systems will have them.

      DECtape is pretty impressive in my opinion.

      As I said - I don't care about the rules for bring-to. In the mid 1970's, the PDP-8 was the GOLD STANDARD for "a computer I want in my basement". For most it was too much money to spend. My Bell Labs engineering buddy was considering building an 8, before the 8080 appeared.

      If those first-hand statements help to bring a PDP-8 to the show, that suits me.

      > It sounded like Herb didn't have a functional plotter. I can bring the Calcomp
      > plotter I have brought before. Anybody else bringing one?
      > http://www.pdp8online.com/563/563.shtml

      My functions but has no pen and nothing connected to it. I actually picked up a generic USB-binary interface and was about to poke at it for the Calcomp, when these TCF plans emerged. No time to do that now....

      > I was planning to bring VT10x terminal. Is someone bringing a teletype
      > or should I bring it instead? I can bring the high speed paper tape
      > reader/punch if desired.

      I can bring the low-speed Heath H10 reader/punch. I'd have to check but it should be late 1970's at least. Haven't fired it up lately...I have a sick cat ..yard needs raking...usual responsibilities...

      My list of to-brings is getting long. I COULD bring an ADM-3A, that's absolutely "period", but I can only hustle so much stuff...A VT52 would be earlier than a VT100..

      > I've found some homebrew and industrial customization info that I can bring
      > some info on. For example
      > This ACS newsletter pg 58/76 etc shows people thinking about making
      > homemade computers from DEC designs/architecture.
      > http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/text/2012/03/102654910-05-01-acc.pdf#page=1&zoom=auto,0,790

      That would be a good thing, I think! Make the young'uns read actual paper documents - like we had to do, by candlelight, as we wire-wrapped our I/O cards....Anyway, people were making their own logic machines in the absence of microprocessors.

      > Also some DECUS stuff showing the user group/sharing of software that is
      > similar to that which grew up around the home computers also.

      Yep, the minicomputer folks were well organized before the microcomputer folks were...

      Back to the basement I go...

      Herb Johnson
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic