29502re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Roll Call for VCF E

    Mar 1, 2013
      > But "honmebrew" is a kind of reference to the now-iconic "Homebrew
      Computer Club" in California, where several founders of vintage computer
      companies, or principals in those companies, met and started.

      > The phrase also refers to what Bill Degnan is talking about. People - we
      - in the era, were obliged to MAKE computers, and wire them up to things
      not meant for "computer control". That's because computers of the
      mid-1970's were not produced as ready-for-use, or for use by themselves,
      for applications alone - that's a modern view.

      > The technology for a use, the need for an application, DID NOT EXIST YET,
      or was too new. The price of much of existing technology was ENORMOUS in
      modern dollars - costs greater than a running used car. Much of the
      affordable computing technology, was second-hand, in the used MINIcomputer
      market, and still not that cheap. and microcomputing technology was
      changing rapidly - standards we consider obvious today, were in many cases
      established in that era; thus surviving technology from the era is deemed
      "non standard" and therefore second-class.

      It might not matter to everyone the same way, but TCF is the perfect place
      to help educate.

      It says something if you can accurately answer the question "...what would
      all this have cost in year x ...?"

      bd
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic