29437Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Semi-OT: Preserve old cassette tape?

  • Dave
    Feb 25, 2013
      On 25/02/2013 15:16, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
      > --- On Mon, 2/25/13, Dave Wade <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I have had virtually no success in getting any thing that's
      >> even half
      >> listen-able too off cassette tapes, even pro Dolby tapes.
      > You must be doing something wrong. I mean, sure, I've run across a few bad recordings and damaged tapes, but by and large, cassettes sound quite good. I use them regularly. A good recording on good tape can really sound fantastic. Are you sure your cassette player is aligned properly? Do you live near a massive power transformer or other source of magnetic interference? Indian burial ground?
      Nope the nearest thing is the local trams which are about 300yds (two
      blocks) away.

      http://www.altrincham.org.uk/PublicTransport.asp

      I have tried a selection of cassette players, a selection of sound
      cards, and it always sounds naff when I play back the resulting audio,
      be it in the car, on a computer or via my Android phone....
      >> In this modern age of loss-less, noise free
      >> digital copying
      >> we have forgotten how utterly appalling the quality of the
      >> "Compact
      >> Cassette" was...
      > Some low grade tape is truly bad. But, again, cassettes can sound very, very good - don't dismiss the format entirely. It's not digital, no, but it's not 8-track either.

      No but compare to any reel to reel how can 1/16" tracks on 1/4" wide
      tape at 1.75ips ever sound "good". There were some less worse devices
      that worked at double speed, but I still don't think they are/were
      brilliant.

      > -Ian
      >

      > ttp://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Dave