29431RE: [midatlanticretro] [Semi-OT] Dot Matrix Printer Help

  • Wesley Furr
    Feb 25 5:43 AM
      Kyle,

      I passed your message on to someone I work with now, and worked with two jobs back too.  "Back in the day" of the other job, they used to use Sperry/Unisys equipment...so I passed along your note in case he knew something about your printer.  I personally worked with some of the leftover big MT band printers...but nothing smaller that had that name on it.  Here's his response:

      Well – up until I displayed the picture I thought I was familiar with the printer.   I have dealt with MT printers in the past – I don’t think they had the Unisys name on them though.  The picture and the MT printer I have in mind do not match.

      The MT’s that I played with had a menu that would allow the print of the current and all possible settings – it printed quite a long list of configurable parameters.

      If the printer has the Unisys name on it – it may have a butchered serial interface.  Depending on what the printer was connected to in its Unisys life, it may not be a typical serial connection.  Long ago we purchased an Epson printer to replace a Unisys (maybe even Sperry) printer and there was a slight change to the serial settings to get it to talk to a Unisys terminal.   But this slight change was made with a dip switch.

      In the very last paragraph there is a statement…” but I honestly didn't expect the printers to hold me back!”

      In my experience – printers ALWAYS hold you back.   I thought at one point that printers and modems would cause the end of life as we know it.

      Sorry – a lot of words -  not much help…..

      djp

      Hope this is of some help...

      Thanks,

      Wesley