29407Re: [midatlanticretro] WiFi on vintage hardware

  • Dave
    Feb 24, 2013
      On 24/02/2013 22:17, David Gesswein wrote:
      > On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 05:01:21PM -0500, Mike Loewen wrote:
      >> I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
      >> vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
      >> allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server.
      >> Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
      >> the bench?
      >>
      > Might be doable with a Rasberry PI and USB to WIFI adapter. Run a getty
      > on the serial port, log in and then SSH out. I think the serial port needs
      > an external RS-232 to TTL conversion.
      >
      > I haven't actually used a PI.

      I believe that by default the serial port is set as a login prompt, but
      it has no handshake lines. You need a level converter like this:-

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/380464895881
      http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8301
      http://justanotherlanguage.org/content/jallib/tutorials/tutorial_serial_port_board

      and I guess a USB WiFi adaptor thats supported by the Linux on the PI,
      or a WiFi Access Point that works as client. Plenty of these around I
      have an EDIMAX that my sons have used to connect various bits of kit to
      the house network, such as XBOX or Internet Ready TV. My PI is connected
      via "HomePlugs" and runs XBMC...
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic