29401WiFi on vintage hardware

  • Mike Loewen
    Feb 24, 2013
      Alex and I talked about this yesterday, and he suggested I throw it out
      to the group.

      I would like to come up with a hardware/software scheme to connect a
      vintage computer's serial port to some sort of WiFi module which would
      allow me to use SSH or Telnet over SSL to connect to a server. I've run
      across several modules which do serial port to WiFi, but none of them have
      the capability to do the SSH or Telnet/SSL part. It would also have to
      support 802.1x (AES, EAP-TTLS, PAP). I would like to use a basic
      terminal emulator (IMP, MEX, ext) on the vintage machine to talk to the
      serial port.

      Another blue-sky idea would be to attach a serial-to-bluetooth module
      to the vintage machine, pair with my Android gadget, and use some sort
      of SSL tunnel on the Android to make the connection to the remote server.
      Again, there are some things on Google Play that are close, but no cigar.

      Suggestions? Do any of you microcontroller wizards have something on
      the bench?

      My boss likes to tease me about my liking for old equipment. It would
      be fun to show up at a meeting with an Osborne Vixen, connect to my server
      and do email and lynx.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...