29388Re: [midatlanticretro] Semi-OT: Preserve old cassette tape?

    Feb 24, 2013
      evan@... wrote:

      >Guys,
      >
      >One of the items I got from Stephen Gray's daughter last weekend is an
      >audio tape of Stephen giving a lecture. I want to be sure the tape's in
      >good condition before I dare to play it. (When I do play it, I'll make
      >a recording at the same time.)
      >
      >The tape is from 1976. I don't know when it was last played.
      >
      >What should I do to ensure its integrity before playing it? I would
      >freak out if I started playing it and it got "eaten" or otherwise
      >damaged.

      I have done the work before. Find a professional grade tape deck -recently de-magnetized and with the heads cleaned. Record into protools or similar software so you can mix the input signal and "master" the raw recording into a finished product.
      --
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic