29328RE: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

    Feb 22, 2013
      Thanks Dave!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of evan@...
      Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 4:30 PM
      To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] A real Mark-8 for MARCH

      Great news! MARCH's own Dave Larsen is providing a long-term loan of a real
      (not replica) Mark-8 minicomputer for our homebrew museum exhibit.

      This deal has been in the works for a while now. Dave mailed us the computer
      today and gave his permission for me to tell all of you.

      Just as exciting, Dave gave us permission to restore the computer to working
      order! I am appointing Bill Degnan to lead a restoration team, and Corey
      Cohen to fabricate the computer's case.

      When the times comes to start restoration, Bill will announce it here, and
      then people can volunteer to help.

      Meanwhile, I will bring the computer as-is to our Trenton exhibit. Of course
      it will be "no touch" at that point.

      I suspect that many MARCHins may not realize just * who * Dave is. He's not
      just a collector -- he ran the Blacksburg Group with Jon Titus. So he was
      right there with Jon when they made the Mark-8 and while they wrote the
      classic BugBooks.

      In my opinion, it's pretty cool to have someone like him quietly here in our
      group. :)

      Please join me in thanking Dave for this very generous sharing of his musuem
      artifact.