29189Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: The VCFSE Press Release

  • Mike Loewen
    Feb 7, 2013
      On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Stephen L wrote:

      >> Do you know what parts of the SAGE system are in his collection?
      >> have a personal interest, having worked on the system.
      > --- Hi Mike,
      > Here is a link to a pic I took of Lonnie's SAGE artifacts:
      > http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20posti\
      > ngs/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg
      > <http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll430/shlafferty/photos%20for%20post\
      > ings/SAGEartifactsMimms.jpg>
      > You can identify what's there, far better than I but it includes the
      > light gun, a vacuum tube logic module and CRT select panel (for want of
      > a better term). It's a rough snapshot, as I didn't discover it until we
      > were leaving that building.
      > Fascinating that you actually worked on the SAGE system. Really enjoyed
      > your web pages on that. With modem networking, real time computing,
      > analog-to-digital radar interfaces, core memory and high resolution
      > computer graphic displays with interactive light guns, SAGE was a truly
      > stunning achievement for its time. I guess what amazes me the most is
      > that they actually got all that to work in that era!

      Thanks, Steve. The light gun is a real treasure - there aren't many of
      those around. The gray switch modules are also from a display scope.
      The two with the large buttons were "off-centering" modules, and were used
      to select areas of the display to zoom in on. The module with the smaller
      buttons was either from an Input Data Selection panel (or "wing") which
      was attached to the side of some display scopes, or an Auxiliary Console.

      It took a dedicated team of technicians to keep those systems running,
      but by duplexing critical equipment they were able to maintain a high
      level of uptime. Preventive maintenance played a big part in that uptime

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...