29045Re: I am definitely going to have to start a SOL restoration blog...

  • joshbensadon
    Jan 23, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein wrote:

      > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35:57PM -0000, corey986 wrote:
      > > >From a power supply perspective the power supply puts out about 4.7 volts
      > > on the 5v when not plugged into the motherboard, but 3.7 volts when plugged
      > > in, so something is drawing it down.
      > > so I can pull all the chips and perform the check out procedure
      > >
      > Not knowing anything about what type of supply this is...
      > Since its low unloaded you may want to test it with a load resistor of
      > the expected draw to see if the power supply is bad and its not a loading
      > problem.

      Is the voltage regulator getting very hot when plugged in (at 3.7V) ?
      If so, then you might be right. Otherwise, 4.7V no load is an unusual voltage for a standard 5V regulator. Does it use a standard regulator or is it like a LM723/2N3055 design? If it's a standard regulator, then the chip might have failed OR it could be the input filter cap (too much ripple on the input pin) or the output decoupling capacitor could be bad (check for oscillation on output).
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic