29019Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Bad news, good news: VCF East 9.0 cancelled due to Sandy

  • Systems Glitch
    Jan 22, 2013
      Well, if we want to do a workshop sometime this spring/summer AND ensure there is power, I'll be buying an army surplus MEP-003A generator upstate and lugging it down to WV for my parents. It puts out 13 kW, runs on diesel, and it hot-switchable between 120 1ph, 240 1ph and 208 3ph. It'd be a good workout, to load it down with some non-resistive equipment. The MEP-003A is intended for comms huts, so the power is better regulated and cleaner than usual army light plant generators.

      If MARCH/InfoAge is seriously considering backup power, the MEP-003As (and the smaller MEP-002) are regularly available for under $4000 with a warranty.

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:07:22 -0500
      David Greelish <dgreelish@...> wrote:

      > Very sorry to hear this everyone, and needless to say, I'm shocked.
      >
      > We're working very hard to have a great first show, which will then hopefully bolster ours and yours for next year.
      >
      > Only just announced this on the Retro Computing Roundtable Sunday, but we have our keynote speaker - Robert Tinney, famous artist of the classic Byte magazine covers.
      >
      > If anyone would like to try and instead join us "down here" in the Atlanta area this year, we'd love to have ya.
      >
      > I certainly hope our two groups, MARCH & AHCS, plus our two shows, VCF East & VCFSE, can be partners in any way possible.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > David Greelish
      > - Computer Historian, Writer, Podcaster & Speaker
      > - Founder of the Atlanta Historical Computing Society
      >
      > Producer of the Vintage Computer Festival Southeast 1.0 - 4/20 & 4/21, 2013
      >
      > http://about.me/davidgreelish

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic