28972Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: MG Chemicals Flux remover vs Ecoline Flux Remover

    Jan 17, 2013
      On 01/17/2013 01:46 AM, joshbensadon wrote:
      >> Urrr? #4140? Tell me more. I use it all the time, and my boards
      >> usually have plastic on them.
      >
      > Well, I don't recall the MG Chemicals part number, I don't have any
      > cans here at the moment. I'm using a cheaper product from Asalco
      > called "FLUX-CLEAN" (Product No AE 101). Both are like you said,
      > hard on the hands. They really suck the moisture out and leave your
      > hands white.

      Yes, the MG 4140 does as well.

      > Both don't bother the plastic dip sockets but I did once see the MG
      > Chemicals Flux Remover discolour a plastic case, luckily it was on
      > the inside of the case only. I don't know enough about plastics to
      > tell you which type it was. Since then, I've played it safe.

      Yeah. I don't recall it ever having damaged anything, but I'm pretty
      consistent about getting it where it's needed and nowhere else.
      Sometimes you can't help overspray, though. Connector shells, sockets,
      beepers with plastic enclosures, etc...never had any issues.

      Interestingly, I was in a PCB assembly house yesterday, letting them
      schmooze me a bit because I'm shopping around a big board assembly job.
      They do full-board spray defluxing there, using MG #4140...but from
      MUCH MUCH larger containers. ;)

      > A real offensive product is that contact cleaner. I tried it once on
      > a switch, it got on the plastic button and within 10 minutes, the
      > button became so brittle, it came apart with the slightest pressure.

      That's scary. I use their contact cleaner quite a lot as well, but I
      try to avoid letting it touch anything but the contacts, just on general
      principle.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ