28910Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF-E 9.0 exhibit options

    Jan 10, 2013
      On 01/10/2013 02:26 PM, mloewen16823 wrote:
      > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
      > this year's VCF-E. I had initially been talking to Dave McGuire and
      > some others about bringing a VAX 4000/300 and participating in a VAX
      > cluster, but I'm considering other options. For instance, I've had
      > at least two people request that I bring my HP mini again. While I
      > dislike the idea of rehashing an exhibit, the HP 2109E system is now
      > more fully configured, with a second 264x terminal and a 9-track tape
      > drive and cabinet. Maybe I can get the 8" floppy drives working.
      >
      > The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very
      > familiar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and
      > VCF to get up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is
      > done. Yes, I realize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be
      > present to assist, but I like to feel useful, too. :-)
      >
      > Of course, there are always the Kaypros, TRS-80s, Morrow and
      > NorthStar systems yet to be exhibited. I like to be different,
      > though.
      >
      > So, what do you think?

      I'd welcome the 2109E, and wouldn't consider it a rehash due to its
      recent expansion. Multiple terminals and the 9-track drive make it a
      VERY different system, exhibit-wise, and I think showing the evolution
      of the system as you build it up is also good.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ