28868Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Altair 8800 Web Emulator

  • Neil Cherry
    Jan 8, 2013
      On 01/08/2013 09:54 AM, corey986 wrote:
      > I 100% agree. Having to "flip" switches or even type in the ocal/hex by hand has made me a
      > better programmer. This actually came up at dinner last night (I'm at training in Texas
      > right now) where we were talking about the "old" days and how people who lived through
      > toggling in a boot loader on a PDP8 seemed to be more efficient in their resource
      > utilization as programmers than the guys who started programming with Visual Basic who
      > tend to be sloppy in memory and resource usage. It was a pretty heated converstation
      > enhanced by wine and Fogo de Chao "Meat" high....

      This holds true of any restricted env such as a uC with limited resources.

      Of course when you've been around long enough and use larger computer resources
      you start to think about other limited resources such as time. As an Engineer
      (EE, System Engineer, etc.) you have to look at the overall picture .

      But I do agree that folks who have had to live with tight limits tend to
      be better overall Engineers.

      http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
      http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog