28737Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Looking for a DSO/MSO

    Dec 26, 2012
      On 12/22/2012 03:24 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
      > So, I've finally picked up a scope. Don't have it, yet, as it's an eBay
      > purchase, but hopefully will, soon.
      > I did take some of the advice given, here, and got an HP 54506 300 MHz
      > scope. The size looks to be about right, and it appears to be in good
      > condition. Now, I just have to hope that the delivery courier doesn't
      > destroy it.
      > Dave suggested that I get Tektronix P6104 probes. However, since I
      > bought a 300 MHz scope, I assume that the equivalent probe would be
      > theTektronix P6131 probe?
      > Has anyone here used scopes like the one I bought? I'm trying to
      > download the manuals from Agilent, but they seem to be having issues
      > with their documentation server.

      I used a 54501 for a long time...a good bit earlier but the same basic

      This being a digital scope...be careful. Be absolutely certain that
      you understand the Nyquist limit and aliasing! People will say "that's
      not a problem with modern scopes!" ...but in fact it is.

      I've gone over the specs; it should be a damn fine instrument.
      Congrats on the acquisition! Take the time to learn its capabilities
      and limitations, well beyond what you might think (and some might say)
      is "enough", and it will serve you well.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ