28651Re: New 8" system works (was Lobo floppy drives)

  • joshbensadon
    Dec 15, 2012

      > The double-sided drives have a 2S signal on pin 10 of the interface
      > connector to indicate single or double-sided media. The outputs of the
      > respective pulse-shaping ciruitry for each sensor is essentially ORed to
      > form a single Index pulse output.

      Cool, so I can imagine the two sensor signals going to an RS flip flop to provide the 2S signal and as you said to an OR gate for the index.

      Hmm, thinking about why, I guess the design was to create a hardware error if a user placed a DS disk into a SS drive. As Rich found, the lack of index pulses caused a drive not ready. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in later 5.25" drives, they did not change the index sensor location. Then I suppose the errors created would be software generated?

      I vaguely remember hearing a discussion about how computers switched from hardware solutions to software solutions, then back to hardware. I just don't know the dates, could this 8" to 5.25" be part of that switch?

      :) Josh
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic