28650Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: New 8" system works (was Lobo floppy drives)

  • Mike Loewen
    Dec 15, 2012
      On Sat, 15 Dec 2012, joshbensadon wrote:

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:
      >
      >> It's not the density that matters, but single or double sided. The
      >> index hole aperture in an single-sided 8" disk is in a different location
      >> than on a double-sided disk. Double-sided drives will typically have two
      >> index hole sensors: one for single-sided and the other for double-sided.
      >>

      > I did not know that. Would you happen to know more about what the DS
      > drive does with two index hole sensors? Like does it merge them into
      > the single index pulse on the 50 pin? Is a new pin used for the 2nd
      > sensor? Or is there a new pin used to tell the controller it's a DS
      > disk?

      The double-sided drives have a 2S signal on pin 10 of the interface
      connector to indicate single or double-sided media. The outputs of the
      respective pulse-shaping ciruitry for each sensor is essentially ORed to
      form a single Index pulse output.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...