28644Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: New 8" system works (was Lobo floppy drives)

  • Mike Loewen
    Dec 14, 2012
      On Fri, 14 Dec 2012, joshbensadon wrote:

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> All --
      >>
      >> Today I was able to get my 8" Lobo drives working with my IMSAI. Whoo Hoo!
      >> What was giving me fits was that the drives weren't going "ready". Where I
      >> went wrong was that I was using DSDD disks for testing and not SSSD disks. I
      >> figured that the sides wouldn't matter but I was mistaken in thinking that
      >> the DD disks were backward-usable on the SD drives. Once I dug out SSSD Type
      >> 1 disks, everything worked. Yea!
      >

      > Why is that? I'm wondering why does a "SD" head care if it's a DD or SD disk?

      It's not the density that matters, but single or double sided. The
      index hole aperture in an single-sided 8" disk is in a different location
      than on a double-sided disk. Double-sided drives will typically have two
      index hole sensors: one for single-sided and the other for double-sided.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...