28641Re: New 8" system works (was Lobo floppy drives)

  • joshbensadon
    Dec 14, 2012
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Richard Cini <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      > All --
      >
      > Today I was able to get my 8" Lobo drives working with my IMSAI. Whoo Hoo!
      > What was giving me fits was that the drives weren't going "ready". Where I
      > went wrong was that I was using DSDD disks for testing and not SSSD disks. I
      > figured that the sides wouldn't matter but I was mistaken in thinking that
      > the DD disks were backward-usable on the SD drives. Once I dug out SSSD Type
      > 1 disks, everything worked. Yea!

      Why is that? I'm wondering why does a "SD" head care if it's a DD or SD disk?

      I'm not doubting this, just wondering why.

      I remember the days of DOS and how 360K disks (formatted on a 360K Drive) didn't work (for the most part) on 1.2M drives. The 1.2M drives were suppose to be able to be backward compatible with those DSDD 5.25 disks. Right?
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic