28637Re: off topic- how to hand terminate ribbon cable

  • joshbensadon
    Dec 14, 2012
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <VAXman@...> wrote:

      > Use of a vice, without some sort of similar guard, can leave teeth
      > marks in the connector. You also risk crushing the connector if you
      > are too overzealous when you close the vice. The only time I used my
      > vice was when making 50 conductor cables for early SCSI connections
      > because there was too much force needed to completely compress the
      > connector on the cable.

      Good point. The Vice can destroy your connector. Only close until you see there's no more movement in the clip. You'll hear a click on some of the 3M connectors. Further, don't worry about pushing more of the wire through the other end, you can always trim it with a sharp knife. But if you don't push enough wire through, then that's a problem.

      Great advice everyone!

      J.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic