28632Re: [midatlanticretro] off topic- how to hand terminate ribbon cable

    Dec 14 9:11 AM
      On 12/14/2012 10:24 AM, Ben Greenfield wrote:
      > Not exactly on topic but I feel the skills represented on this list
      > maybe the finest on the internet for answering this question.
      >
      > I have 10 pin ribbon cable that I want to terminate I will only need
      > to do it 10 times so if its's laborious.
      >
      > I have tried 3 variations of stripping the wires and using a hammer
      > and block of wood. I'm now ready for some advice if anyone has got
      > some.

      Assuming it's an IDC connector...

      One does not strip or separate the wires before attaching the
      connector. The action of the connector depends upon the wires' webbing
      not being separated. When you crimp one of these connectors closed, the
      pins cut through the insulation and make contact with the conductors.
      IDC == Insulation Displacement Connector.

      There are crimpers specifically designed for doing this. For years I
      used a machinist's vise (non-serrated jaws), then I dropped nearly $300
      for the crimper. It was then stolen, which really pissed me off. It
      was only marginally better than the vise, though, so I just went back to
      the vise.

      The important thing is to maintain orthogonality to the axis of the
      connector...straight down, as even the slightest angle can cause
      problems, either bad crimps or broken connectors. Crank it down until
      the pressure only just begins to increase dramatically, looking around
      the perimeter constantly to ensure orthogonality.

      If you do this a few times, it will just become automatic and you
      won't even think about it any more. (or worry about it, for that matter!)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ