28631Re: [midatlanticretro] off topic- how to hand terminate ribbon cable

  • Ben Greenfield
    Dec 14, 2012
      Hey all,

      It is indeed an IDC connector and I will proceed with non stripped slow pressure termination method. I though all the answers had some quality except for Bill's. Sorry Bill but that was a straight forward answer that could have written by guessing that a proper tool existed :)

      This list is pure gold.

      Ben

      On Dec 14, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Richard Cini wrote:

      Ben --

      I actually use the "wood block and machine vice" method. While not terribly elegant, given that it's a non-production environment, it works pretty well so long at everything is square (jaw of the vice and the wood block). This ensures even pressure on the IDC connector as you clamp down.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      From: Ben Greenfield <ben@...>
      Date: Friday, December 14, 2012 10:24 AM
      To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] off topic- how to hand terminate ribbon cable

      Hey All,

      Not exactly on topic but I feel the skills represented on this list maybe the finest on the internet for answering this question.

      I have 10 pin ribbon cable that I want to terminate I will only need to do it 10 times so if its's laborious.

      I have tried 3 variations of stripping the wires and using a hammer and block of wood. I'm now ready for some advice if anyone has got some.

      Ben

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic